Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Returning the favor

"Taran."

He turned around slowly, facing towards me.

I knew the moment he stayed in Baraz's bedroom that he was thinking about our drop of sunshine. Baraz is a joyful child, well-behaved with tight, blonde curls it was hard not to make the comparison. I know I was thinking about him myself when Baraz was curled perfectly within my arms, leaning his head on my chest. I could only imagine what was going through Taran's mind.

I stepped closer, gently placing my hand on his forearm. All I could do is stare up at him, his golden orbs bore into mine silently. He wasn't going to say anything. "You were thinking about him weren't you?" I questioned hesitantly, not wanting to upset Taran. Remembering has been hard for the both of us. For me, remembering what life I was carrying and to know I had lost it tore at me constantly. I couldn't imagine what Taran felt knowing he didn't just lose one life that day but two.

"Yes." His voice was barely over a whisper making my chest tighten.

The last two weeks he did his best to sooth my pains. Holding onto me close with gentle caresses, whispering the best comfort that he could manage for the situation; 'It's not your fault,' 'There's nothing we can do,' 'We can always try again.' But I didn't--hadn't--return the same comfort.

I flickered a small, sad smile while reaching both of my arms up wrapping them a round his neck. Sliding my fingers into his black mass of hair, I lightly pressed on the back of his head down. His forehead rest against the crook of my neck, his breath skimming against my bare skin. His arms wrapped around my waist as I held him tilting my head to rest against the side of his head. Unlike Taran, I couldn't think of anything to say to ease the pain but just hold him.

I'm sure he didn't want me to see him like this but after tonight, seeing me taking care of Baraz probably triggered something from the past that I didn't remember but he did. We were both suffering at lost of something precious and all we had were other to try and ease the pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment