Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Candles

An autumn scent emitted from the candle on the side table. Picking up the lighter I stared at the five candles set up neatly on my dresser; three, tall white candles with two tiny green in between resting in a glass container. I close my eyes words tumbling into existence without any effort as I lit each wick; Let these candles guide any lost souls back home. Return to where you need to be. Let the light guide your way.

The flames flicker into existence, the wick crackling. This feeling... it's hard to describe. Familiar, like I've done this a million times before. It feels calming and rewarding. It feels like someone's listening. It feels... good.

An image flashes in my mind. I'm standing in a middle of a marble hall in bare footed, the cold stone beneath my feet. I'm standing tall dressed in a long white dress hanging every curve and the hem dragging behind me. My hair is longer, thicker, lighter hanging down to my waist. My fingers loosely laced together in front, gazing endearingly at the endless white candles lining both sides of the hall.

Have I done this before, long ago?


No comments:

Post a Comment